It's not always easy being around people with HIV/AIDS, Huntington's disease, ALS and other life-threatening conditions. Especially when many of these people also suffer from mental illness and chemical dependencies.
It's not always easy being around people most of society has turned their backs on.
And it's certainly not easy being around people who are dying.
Then again, volunteers don't come to Bailey-Boushay House because it's easy. They come because it's uniquely challenging and supremely rewarding.
Who Can Volunteer?
Bailey-Boushay House is looking for motivated community members who have a desire to help people facing life challenging illnesses. We need people from all walks of life and life experiences to give their time and open heart. We promise that you will receive a remarkable sense of fulfillment in return.
We need YOU!
To volunteer at Bailey-Boushay House you must:
- Be over the age of 18.
- Make a commitment to a weekly shift of four hours for one year or 100 hours.
- Be ready to begin volunteering within 15 days of volunteer application approval.
- Complete all of the necessary application and forms below.
Types of Volunteer Roles
Current volunteer roles at Bailey-Boushay House include:
- Program Assistant
- Outpatient Support: escort to medical appointments; assist with meals and support during challenging times for clients, including assisting with activities at holidays.
- Inpatient Support: assist with community meals and recreation; spend individual time with residents and families, sharing in activities that bring joy to residents; provide a compassionate presence during challenging times, including support during the end of their lives.
- Front Desk Greeter: Assist our front desk staff by being “the face of Bailey-Boushay,” answering the phone and directing visitors. This is an active space where clients and residents frequently congregate. Volunteers must excel in engaging with a variety of populations and multitasking.
- Hair Stylists: Licensed professionals volunteer to cut hair for both our Adult Day Health program and our residents for four to six hours each month.
- Pet Therapy: Pet Partners certified dogs visit residents and provide pet visits. Pet Partners certification is required.
Volunteer Application and Forms
If you have any questions about volunteering at Bailey-Boushay House, please contact us at (206) 720-2260.